How much overhang should a mantel have?
A mantel should stick out at least 6 inches (15.24cm) from the wall. It’s the perfect depth that allows you to have a mantle effectively deflect heat without compromising aesthetics. You can extend it to have more depth for your decorative pieces, but we don’t recommend having it less than 6 inches (15.24cm).
How do you build a floating mantel on a brick fireplace?
How to build a floating mantel (or shelf):
- Prep your surface. For me, that meant staining our fireplace white beforehand.
- Create mantel support.
- Create a hollow box for your mantel.
- Finish the mantel.
- Attach your shelf support onto the brick.
- Fit your mantel onto the mantel support.
- Style your finished mantel!
How far up should a mantle be from the fireplace?
Most housing codes and the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) state that the bottom of the mantel must be at least 12” away from the top of the fireplace box.
How far above a fireplace opening does a mantle have to be?
about 12 inches
As a general rule, the mantel is placed about 12 inches above the fireplace opening. Then adding an inch to the distance for every inch that the mantel protrudes. So a mantel 6 inches deep, would be attached 18 inches above the firebox opening.
How do you install a heavy wood mantel on a brick fireplace?
How to Attach a Wooden Mantel to Bricks
- Measure the Mantel.
- Determine Where the Mantel Will Hang.
- Make Marks at the Desired Height.
- Locate the Wall Studs.
- Mark the Drill Hole Locations.
- Mark Drill Holes on the Mantel.
- Drill Holes at the Marked Spots.
- Insert Anchor Sleeves.
How to build a custom fireplace mantel?
How to decorate your fireplace mantel?
Get personal when decorating your mantel. Don’t just arrange similarly sized family photos in a row.
How to build an outdoor fireplace on a budget?
– Consider the design of the hearth. Although it is not mandatory, many homeowners match the stonework of their fireplace o the stonework of their residence. – Determine the size of the fireplace. – Look into wood-burning fireplaces.
How to decorate fireplace mantle?
The lifestyle blogger, who gravitates towards preppy motifs and classic silhouettes, styled up her brick and wood mantle with mirroring brushstroke jars from Jana Bek and vintage candle sconces, uniting the center with a stack of books, plant, and artwork from Paige Gemmel, all in a playful palette of hues to keep things vibrant.