What are the types of parasitic infections?
Examples of parasitic infections
- E. vermicularis, or pinworm.
- Trypanosoma cruzi, the cause of Chagas disease.
- Echinococcosis, another tapeworm, passed through dogs and sheep.
- Cysticercosis, or tapeworm.
- Toxocariasis, or roundworm.
- Trichomoniasis, a sexually transmitted infection.
How is trematode infection acquired?
People become infected by eating raw fish, crustaceans or vegetables that harbour the parasite larvae. Foodborne trematodiases are most prevalent in East Asia and South America. Foodborne trematode infections result in severe liver and lung disease.
What are the most common parasite infections?
Numerous parasites can be transmitted by food including many protozoa and helminths. In the United States, the most common foodborne parasites are protozoa such as Cryptosporidium spp., Giardia intestinalis, Cyclospora cayetanensis, and Toxoplasma gondii; roundworms such as Trichinella spp.
How can trematode be prevented?
To prevent infection with intestinal flukes and fascioliasis, properly clean and thoroughly wash raw vegetables, watercress, and other water-grown vegetables before eating. Cook water-grown vegetables thoroughly before eating.
What are symptoms of a parasitic infection?
Some of the most common signs of a parasitic infection include:
- Stomach cramps and pain.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Weight loss.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
- Digestive problems including unexplained constipation, diarrhoea or persistent gas.
- Skin issues such as rashes, eczema, hives, and itching.
- Continuous muscle and joint pain.
What are the most common parasites in humans?
Below are the most common types of parasitic worms that infect humans and are not usually visible to the naked eye.
- Pinworms (Enterobius vermicularis)
- Tapeworms (Taenia solium)
- Roundworms (Ascaris lumbricoides)
- Roundworms (Wuchereria bancrofti)
- Roundworms (Trichinella )
- Flatworms (Fasciola hepatica)
How do you get rid of a parasitic infection?
Your doctor will prescribe medications that destroy parasites, such as albendazole (Albenza) and mebendazole (Emverm). These medications are generally taken once to treat the infection. Your doctor might also have you take an iron supplement if you have anemia.
How do you get a parasite infection?
You can get them from contaminated food or water, a bug bite, or sexual contact. Some parasitic diseases are easily treated and some are not. Parasites range in size from tiny, one-celled organisms called protozoa to worms that can be seen with the naked eye. Some parasitic diseases occur in the United States.