What happened to the furnishings at Versailles?

What happened to the furnishings at Versailles?

Unfortunately, most of the original furnishings and decorations are gone forever. Versailles was a symbol of all the Revolution was against, and the Revolution stripped it bare. It was stripped it of its art, the Mona Lisa, the Titians, the Rubenses and so much more were carted off to the Louvre and other museums.

Did servants live in cupboards in Versailles?

But where did they stay? Most apartments consisted of a bedchamber, a cabinet and perhaps a wardrobe. The lucky ones could add a few antechambers or had rather large rooms. In this context, the servants’ quarters were in the wardrobe.

Is there furniture in the Palace of Versailles?

rEDISCOVER VERSAILLES Since the beginning of the 20th century, generations of curators have passionately and untiringly hunted and identified furniture and objects that came from Versailles or were ordered for other royal or princely palaces in order to acquire them, if possible.

Who copied Versailles?

Meant as a homage to the adored King Louis XIV and his divine right, Herrenchiemsee arose as a private, yet vast residence, which resembled Versailles but never was designed to host a thousand-headed royal household.

How accurate is the movie Versailles?

In the case of Versailles, it’s a series grounded in broader historical truths, but one in which chronology has been manipulated and key characters invented so as to produce a stronger narrative. When events are debated by historians, it understandably dramatises the raciest interpretation of those contested events.

What material is Versailles made of?

Before the construction ordered by Louis XIV, the Ch√Ęteau de Versailles domaine was made of bricks. It was the Italian Renaissance (14th-15th centuries), however, that would have a huge impact on French art for many decades.

Has Versailles been restored?

In the autumn of 2017, Versailles began its greatest restoration project since the Hall of Mirrors. The Royal Chapel has barely been modified since 1710, the date of its completion, except for the removal of a roof lantern in 1765, whose weight was severely damaging the timbers.