When did Fort MacArthur close?
The city of Los Angeles turned the Upper Reservation into a city park in 1982. Fort MacArthur’s 94 years as an Army installation came to an end in 1982 when the Middle Reservation was transferred to the Air Force for use as a housing and administration facility supporting the Los Angeles Air Force Base.
Who is Fort MacArthur named after?
Arthur MacArthur, Jr.
Arthur MacArthur, Jr. (father of five-star Gen. Douglas A. MacArthur, who played a prominent role in the Pacific theatre during World War II), Fort MacArthur is located in the heart of San Pedro, California, where its 14-inch guns once overlooked the port and harbor of Los Angeles.
How old is Fort MacArthur?
History. In 1888, President Grover Cleveland designated an area overlooking San Pedro Bay as an unnamed military reservation intended to improve the defenses of the expanding Los Angeles harbor area. Additional land was purchased in 1897 and 1910, and Fort MacArthur was formally created on October 31, 1914.
How many US military bases are closed?
During the BRAC rounds of 1988, 1991, 1993, 1995, and 2005, over 350 installations have been closed. Below are just a select few of those base closings with examples of how those communities or the federal government have put what remains of them to use.
What is the oldest military base in the US?
Warren AFB is the oldest continuously active military installation within the Air Force, established in 1867 by the United States Army as Fort David Allen Russell….
|Francis E. Warren Air Force Base|
|Built||1867 (as Fort Russell)|
Who is the oldest active duty soldier?
Norman Marous at the time of his retirement, was the oldest, longest-serving noncommissioned officer in the United States Air Force, with 41-1/2 years of service….Norman Marous.
|Chief Master Sergeant Norman Marous|
|Born||1943 (age 78–79) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
Where is Fort MacArthur Air Force base?
Fort MacArthur/L.A. Air Force Base 2400 S. Pacific Ave. S. Pacific Ave. & Meyler Rd San Pedro, CA 90731
Where was Fort MacArthur’s lower reservation?
It processed nitrates mined in the Mojave Desert at Trona, California, which was used to make gunpowder. In 1922 the 500 varas square designated by the Mexicans was finally purchased by the U.S. government and incorporated into the Lower Reservation. Fort MacArthur’s Lower Reservation circa 1921.
What were the Fort MacArthur bunkers?
Fort MacArthur’s Fortress Commander’s Station and the Fire Commander’s Station were located on White Point. These two stations were completed in June 1920. These were the “bunkers” where the highest ranking officers would have “fought” from had an attack been directed at the Los Angeles Harbor.
What happened to the armament at Fort MacArthur?
There were barely enough troops to maintain the armament, and much of the armament which had long been a fixture at Fort MacArthur was in the process of being dismantled and sold for junk. The old 12-inch mortars of Batteries Barlow and Saxton were the first to go.