How do you summarize the key points of an article?
Your summary should include an introduction paragraph where you introduce the topic, provide background on the article, and restate what the author is arguing in your own words. Then, the body paragraphs should cover the main supporting arguments and the evidence the author has used to defend them.
How do you summarize quickly?
- use your own words.
- only note the most important points, using key words and phrases.
- read the original text multiple times, ensuring you don’t miss any critical points.
- ensure a summary is much shorter than the original source.
- include the original source in the references for a written document.
When should you directly quote a source?
ALWAYS CITE, in the following cases:
- When you quote two or more words verbatim, or even one word if it is used in a way that is unique to the source.
- When you introduce facts that you have found in a source.
- When you paraphrase or summarize ideas, interpretations, or conclusions that you find in a source.
How do you list resources?
List of Sources
- Begin the list of sources on a separate numbered page at the end of the document.
- Provide a title at the top of the page, “References” for APA or “Works Cited” for MLA, with no special formatting: bolding, underlining, quotation marks, larger font size, etc.
- List all sources used in the document in alphabetical order.
How do you summarize or paraphrase?
To paraphrase text, follow these four steps:
- Read and Make Notes. Carefully read the text that you want to paraphrase.
- Find Different Terms.
- Put the Text into Your Own Words.
- Check Your Work.
- Get a General Idea of the Original.
- Check Your Understanding.
- Make Notes.
- Write Your Summary.
How do you summarize a short article?
State the main ideas of the article. Identify the most important details that support the main ideas. Write your summary in your own words; avoid copying phrases and sentences from the article unless they’re direct quotations. Express the underlying meaning of the article, not just the superficial details.
What must be cited in text?
You must cite a reference when you:
- Discuss, summarize, or paraphrase the ideas of an author.
- Provide a direct quotation.
- Use statistical or other data.
- Use images, graphics, videos, and other media.
How do you paraphrase an article?
How to paraphrase in five steps
- Read the passage several times to fully understand the meaning.
- Note down key concepts.
- Write your version of the text without looking at the original.
- Compare your paraphrased text with the original passage and make minor adjustments to phrases that remain too similar.
How do you summarize an article in 3 sentences?
Skim the text that you are summarizing. Write down the author’s thesis statement, the heading and subheading titles, and author’s conclusion. Carefully read the text and underline the central main ideas. Pay attention to the author’s arguments as well as the tone of the text.
What resources can I use for a research paper?
Your research resources can come from your experiences; print media, such as books, brochures, journals, magazines, newspapers, and books; and CD-ROMs and other electronic sources, such as the Internet and the World Wide Web. They may also come from interviews and surveys you or someone else designs.
Which is the best reason to use a direct quote in your research paper?
Choose a direct quote when it is more likely to be accurate than would summarizing or paraphrasing, when what you’re quoting is the text you’re analyzing, when a direct quote is more concise that a summary or paraphrase would be and conciseness matters, when the author is a particular authority whose exact words would …
Is there an app that can summarize articles?
Split Brain Summary Tool is a helpful app to summarize texts and articles in a great variety of languages.
How many resources do you need for a research paper?
For a lengthy essay, there is no way 5 sources are going to suffice for the research purposes. A reference list of at least 15 is considered ideal for in this case.